Designing beautiful landscaping with houseplants is a creative process without any fixed rules. The key to creating amazing outdoor spaces with houseplants is to use your imagination instead of following rigid guidelines. However, there are some essential landscape design rules that you can follow to ensure that your houseplants blend in perfectly with the rest of your landscape. Here are the top 7 tips and tricks for displaying houseplants that will guide you towards planting perfection:
1. Think of potted plant arrangements as a sculpture: To determine whether a cluster of potted plants goes well together, imagine them as a sculpture. They should flow into a cohesive form when arranged together.
2. Give planters a purpose: Use potted plants on walkways or stairs to give them a purpose and make them look good. Parallel rows of potted plants can also create a scenic walkway and contain different types of flowers.
3. Planters need patterns: Diversity is what makes landscape architecture unique, but an underlying theme is necessary. Having a common floral pattern in a display helps the eye spot all the distinct differences instead of feeling overwhelmed.
4. Potted plants must match: Choose pots that accentuate the colors found in your foliage. Ensure that the plants you want to use will work well in your environment before purchasing suitable planters.
5. Long, short, thick, and narrow – prioritize diversity in the plantings: Display plants at different levels to create more details and avoid a monotonous look.
6. Use the right soil: Different plants require different types of soil, so it’s important to use the right soil for your houseplants.
7. Don’t forget about maintenance: Regular watering, pruning, and fertilizing are vital for keeping your houseplants healthy and attractive.
By pairing these basic rules with your own creativity and eye for design, you can create stunning landscaping with houseplants that stands out from the rest.